Wednesday, June 30, 2010

I'm a surviv-ah!

On June 24, Joel and I walked with friends and family in the American Heart Association's Start! Wall Street Run and Heart Walk to help raise awareness against heart disease and stroke.

We had some walkers with us in the Financial District along with team members in: IL, Vancouver, Kalamazoo, NJ, Upper East and West Sides, and Dr. Oz received an honorary team member tee.  

The front of the tee was a shout out to Dr. Oz, who did my surgery.  The tinman (Wizard of Oz, get it?) asking if you've "got heart". 
The back of the tee said:
'operor panton per totus of vestri pectus'
(Do everything with all of your heart.  Colossians 3.23)


Some pics (I will post more later):

I'm a survivor!  
Those of us wearing red caps during the event were all survivors and showed that we are "Fighting Back"!! 


Our walking team in the financial district (thanks guys!)

Some of our remote team members:
          
Dad and Mama Jan in IL                                                                 Mom in IL              

          

Shannon in Kalamazoo, MI                                 Peter and Cheryl in NJ

           Amanda and Laura in NYC                                   Laura again, my favorite little lady
                                                        


We also had many family and friends support us (via The American Heart Association) financially, which was a huge blessing.  This money helps to improve patient care, advocate for better health, reach out, educate, and raise awareness.

Heart Disease and stroke are the number 1 and number 3 killers in America and I'm certain each of us know someone affected by one or both.  I am very passionate about helping raise awareness, especially to alert young people that these issues are not just for your grandparents.  We are all affected.

It is hard to believe it has been two years since we started on this journey.  Amazing how the path of life drastically changes and your passions take a major shift as well.  I was unaware of so much those short two years ago and I will continue to share my story as long as I know it can help save lives.  

No comments: