Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Where are the humans?

I am looking for human beings. Has anyone seen them? When I make a phone call I usually get voicemail. When I check-out at the grocery store, buy a Metro Card, or buy a movie ticket...I can do it myself without a cashier. If I lived in the suburbs & had a car...the old school days of someone getting your gas & washing your windows for you are gone (that is, unless you live in Jersey). When I call customer service, I get the automated voice on the other end prompting me through a series of choices. I like people, I like human interaction. I don't always want to have to do things online. I like to speak to the voice on the other end telling me that "it will all be taken care of." Would it be possible to go back to having a human answer the phone rather than Ms. Automated Lady? Or the simple service of the nice cashier at the store. Along with this goes the fact that we need each other. We need the support, ears, hearts, hugs of the community around us. Hugging has even been used as a 'presciption' for some in recovery from surgery or for depression. (I read this online somewhere...don't have a footnote). I am SO SO grateful to have my network of friends & family .... they are my support group & I am happy for that. Maybe I could get one of them to work at the grocery store so I could chat to someone when I check out....! :)

No comments: