Thursday, August 12, 2010

Where's the Scar?

When I tell people I've had open heart surgery, the first reaction they have is to glance down on my chest.
They are looking for the scar.  They do not say it audibly, but the action certainly tells me what is going on in their head.
I will either just let it pass or say something.
This past weekend, I had one of those occurrences.

I was at a wedding, speaking with a friend I had not seen in a few years.  I noticed the glance and said "you were looking for the scar weren't you?" Embarrassed, my friend smirked and said "yeah, well...yeah!"  I then proceeded to tell him how the doctors did the surgery on my side and that the scar can not be seen. (pictures and further explanation of the procedure here).

This moment got me thinking...
In NYC we encounter 100's if not, at times, 1000's of people a day.
Do they have scars?
Some we can see, some not.
We all have a story, we have all been through something in our life...we all have scars.
From surgery, to break-ups, to accidents, to the bully in 1st grade.

Some embrace the scars, share the stories.  Some bury them deep down in a well of bitterness and mope.  It is up to us to decide which way we will turn.

Now I am not saying to go shout from the mountain top all of the problems you have ever encountered in your life, but do not be embarrassed by them either.  You never know who you might be able to encourage by sharing your story, by sharing your life.

I am still working on fully embracing all that I am, all that I have been through...but I realize that as I do so, others are comforted, others are blessed, and so am I.  I have a wonderful, supportive, amazing husband who loves me dearly because 5 years ago I decided to let down some walls and share some 'scars'.  I also have some FANTASTIC friends that I know I can depend on.
I move forward in the support, in the healing.

I desire that in sharing these stories that I will raise awareness on stroke and heart disease, but to also raise hope.

"Change is inevitable, growth is intentional."  -Glenda Cloud

No comments: