Friday, September 24, 2010

Dang, wish I had a TV.

Yes, you read that correctly, we don't have a TV. 

Usually it's great and we just watch stuff online or lots of movies (this has certainly worked, being that it is my means to an end with my new addiction to Glee) and I don't miss too much of what's out there. But I miss being able to watch all of the awards shows and fall premieres along with wanting to just sit and watch a mindless Seinfeld rerun.

Mostly though, I will miss not being able to watch TV tomorrow afternoon at 12 noon.  MSNBC will be airing it's annual Go Red for Women TV special.  The show shares the stories of three survivors and helps raise awareness to prevent heart disease...something I feel quite passionate about.  I am not (yet) on the national level with the American Heart and Stroke Associations to speak out to help raise awareness...but I aim to do so here.

Do you have a history of migraine, stroke, heart attack, heart disease in your family?  Are you a smoker?  How's your blood pressure? Cholesterol?  Have any chest pain?  How bout stress?  Do you use birth control?  Drugs?  How much do you drink?  How's your weight?  Do you not get your 30 minutes of cadio a day?

All of these are risk factors, yes, ALL.  And there are more.
Also, be aware that these issues are NOT just for your grandparents.  
There have been reports of children having a stroke as young as 13, 2, 10 years old! yes, this happens.

Heart disease is also a big issue in women.  One woman dies every minute from heart disease.

every minute!

As women, we usually take care of our friends, our husbands, our children, our family, our pets, everything else before we take care of ourselves.  
Take care of yourselves folks.


Go to a doctor, if even just cuz.

No comments: